International scenography program in the DbutanT Festival-competition, the seventh edition
In the week of September 19 - 24, 2022, in Ovidiu/Constanța, the International Scenography Program takes place, the first stage of the DbutanT festival. The proposed theme is METAMORPHOSES, recalling one of the most influential root works of Western culture, Metamorphōsēs, by the Latin poet exiled to Tomis, Publius Ovidius Naso. Also, the chosen theme puts a greater emphasis on approaches that highlight concepts of circularity in art and invites the participating artists and the public to a dialogue about responsibility and sustainability.
Now in its seventh edition, the DbutanT festival is designed to act as a search and promotion engine for up-and-coming artists. Every year the festival highlights young professionals active in a different theatrical field, namely acting, directing, dramaturgy, choreography and scenography. This year's edition addresses the scenography for the second time. The festival is an initiative of the "Andrei Mureșanu" St. Gheorghe Theater and, starting from 2020, has as its partner the Constanța State Theatre.
The international scenography program, the first stage of the festival, brings together 21 young scenographers, architects and designers from Romania, Greece, France and Hungary at Ovidiu. For a week, they will create art installations with a theatrical-performative character, under the guidance of five great international theater masters. The mentors of the young scenographers who will create and work at Ovidiu are:
- Jean-Guy Lecat (FR) – set designer for over a quarter of a decade for the legendary English director, Peter Brook.
- Nic Ularu (RO, USA) – Romanian scenographer, director and teacher, based in the USA, awarded OBIE for special merits in OFF-Broadway shows.
- Carmencita Brojboiu (RO) – Romanian scenographer from Constanța, with a track record of hundreds of shows performed in the great theaters of the country and the world and important prizes for scenography.
- Paweł Dobrzycki (PL) – scenographer, architect, painter and teacher at the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw, creator of over 280 stage productions in theaters and operas in Poland and abroad.
- Helmut Stürmer (DE, RO) – prominent personality of international scenography, with hundreds of scenographies, both in theater and in film. In addition to many other memorable performances, he created the scenography of the famous "Faust" from Sibiu, directed by Silviu Purcărete.
The creations made in the International Scenography Program will be exposed to the public for a single day, on September 24, in a gala opening that will transform White Park Ovidiu into an exhibition space, thus aiming to promote the reinterpreted local identity, values and heritage through artistic installations.
The creative process will take place on site and will be open to the interested public.
The installations created will be documented and exhibited in whole or in part, accompanied by video, photographs, sketches and models, in a traveling scenography exhibition. It will be screened in Sfântu Gheorghe, during the second stage of the DebutanT Festival – Performances in competition, but also in Bucharest, during the Climate Change Summit, held at the Odeon Theater and later in the Goethe Institut gallery.
ORGANIZERS: Constanța State Theatre, Ovidiu Town Hall, "Andrei Mureșanu" St. Gheorghe Theatre.
FINANCERS: AFCN, Constanța County Council (through Constanța State Theatre).
PARTNERS: : Romanian Center OISTAT, Goethe-Institut Bucharest, BRD – Groupe Société Générale, Carrefour Romania, Sportive Club Sepsi OSK Sf. Gheorghe, Association Șpraiț